The test house is a commercial facility offering mechanical and metallurgical testing services to the steel manufacturing industry.
This specialist service provides reliable determination of mechanical properties and facilities for detailed metallography and analysis of microstructure.
The test house has UKAS accreditation to the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025 (laboratory number 4355), for details of the current approval schedule please visit the UKAS web site http://www.ukas.org
Using the latest testing machine models, the test house includes Charpy impact testing machines and macro and micro Vickers hardness testing machines with onscreen measuring capabilities.
The facility is equipped with a range of preparation techniques for metallurgical examination of metals and alloys for steel foundries, forgers, rolling mills and steel stockholders. These techniques are backed up by comprehensive photographic and digital imaging capabilities.
The test house provides sub-zero cooling facilities and heat treatment operations, enabling tests to be conducted under a variety of climatic conditions.
This is the first stage of the process where machining is carried out for preparation of material prior to testing.
Specialist equipment includes:
- CNC lathes for machining standard tensile test pieces
- Milling machines for machining Charpy impact test pieces to ASTM E23 and BS EN 10045 standards
- Carbolite muffle furnace with chart recorders for heat treatment of test piece blanks to 1200°C
- Semi-automatic horizontal and vertical band saws with an ability to saw up to 1.2 x 1.4x 0.5 metres with a maximum capacity of 1.5 tonnes
- Broaching machines for 2mm ‘V’ and 2mm ‘U’ notch
This is a modern and comprehensive facility where specific tests are carried out using state-of-the-art machinery for tensile, impact and hardness testing.
- Tensile testing machine – ZWICK/ROELL 250kn
- Charpy impact testing – Two ZWICK/ROELL high strength 450 Joule Charpy impact testing machines
- Micro and macro Vickers hardness testing – INDENTEC ZHV 30
- Rockwell hardness testing – INDENTEC 4150 AK
- Brinell Hardness testing – NEWAGE
- Measuring projector for measuring ‘V’ and ‘U’ notch Charpys – MITUTOYO
The tensile testing machine is computer driven by testexpert II, a dedicated control system which incorporates an integrated laboratory information management system.
Attached to the machine is a three zone split elevated temperature tensile furnace with a maximum temperature of 1200°C. The machine is calibrated to both ASTM and British Standard.
Impact testing machines within the facility are modern, high energy machines, with a stiff, torsion-free frame with low friction pendulum bearings. The machines are ergonomically sited which makes them ideal for fast test runs. Charpy specimens tested in accordance with BS EN 10045 and ASTM E23 at sub-zero as well as positive test temperatures.
The test house is an important part of the expanding R&D activities within the Sheffield Forgemasters Group where project conceptualisation using advanced computer software is proven by extensive destructive testing and metallurgical evaluation.
The metallurgical laboratory contains highly specific testing equipment for the confirmation of product integrity. Processes include metallographic preparation, imaging systems and polishing of products prior to more specific testing.
- SARMIEKE fume cabinet
- Automatic polishing machines with capability of polishing to 1u – two PRESI machines – automatic polishing machines with capability of polishing up to 1 micron
- Mounting press for micro and macro samples
- LEICA X500 microscope with Motic computerised photographic imaging system
- NIKON stereo scan microscope
- CANON 10 megapixel digital 35mm camera for macro photographs
Metallurgical tests include:
- plating depth
- case depth
- anodised surface depth
- decarburised depth
- grain size determination
- rolling direction determination