Key to achieving the desired mechanical properties within a forging/casting is the correct heat treatment procedure. Inadequate heat treatments can lead to failure in terms of properties or in the most extreme cases, catastrophic failure of the component itself. Heat treatment simulations are used to determine heating and cooling rates at any location within a component as well as temperature, phase distributions and stresses. The influence of stresses generated from thermal mismatch and phase transformations can be considered.
Sheffield Forgemasters RD26 can offer:
- Prediction of austenitisation time (critical for large components)
- Stress analysis on heating/cooling
- Microstructure predictions
- Depth of hardness predictions
- Advice on heat treatment practice
- Optimisation of tempering parameters